Friday, March 19, 2010

Our Marriage

A while back, Kelly asked me not to discuss our marriage in public spaces. Out of respect for her, I have tried not to mention anything - good or bad - about us. In my post this morning, I said that my marriage was still a source of struggle and she commented that people must think we are close to divorce.

Which couldn't be further from the truth.

Kelly and I have traveled a long, bumpy road together. The relationship that has emerged is from years of loving each other despite all odds to the contrary is remarkably strong and resilient.

Parenting has been easy for us. Learning to love each other as parents has been a struggle. We give 100% to parenting, and there is little left over. We work on putting it together, but it is such a far departure from the couple we were before children, when for years our entire life together was about being together.

But, our vow to each other is strong and I have no doubt that we will come through and see the other side of this. We are best friends. We have a foundation built like a nuclear bunker. We might have rough patches...and sometimes we may feel like we are in a never-ending patch...but we are ALwAYS in it together.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know where you are coming from, parenthood changes people and at the end of the day there is often little left over to give to one another. I try to focus on the good we are doing together as parents and know that we still love each other the same way we did when we first met, we just show our love differently and I know that there will come a day when our children are grown and we will need each others love more then ever.

    ReplyDelete