Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Flexible

Prior to being a stay at home Momma, our life was scheduled completely. Down to the minute. I mean, literally. Everything we did had a time and a length and we were good at sticking with it. The kids did well in the schedule - they knew what to expect and when to expect it.

For the most part, our life is still highly organized, but it is much less scheduled. I am working on flexibility - with the kids, but mostly with myself.

See, I love a good schedule. I really am a very organized person. When I was a childless person. I was more spontaneous...but I still thrived in a sense of normalcy. When Bailey came along, I had so much to learn and juggle. We just trended toward our most comfortable way of life - that scheduled, predictable one. Trying to make 40 hours of work fit into 24 hours required it.

I am trying things differently (a bit) these days. I let the kids dictate ouir schedule and I don't shy away from events that will throw off the schedule. I will take them into the city or drive an hour for an event without batting an eye. I come prepared and just let the day develop as it wants to.

It's not easy for me...but I hope that I am teaching my kids how to be more resilient and less reliant on complete predictability.

No comments:

Post a Comment