Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Growth

This family of ours is growing quickly. Every day I wake up and want to blog about all that is happening, but then I look up and it's time to start preparing dinner. And there is a relentless march of diapers, feeding, activities, resting, comforting, cooking and kisses. I am busier as a stay at home Momma than I have ever been, with much less time for simple things like blogging.

I am also still 100% certain that I am doing the right thing for this time in our family's life. These two children belong home with me and this is what they need. We are still figuring it out - each week presents a new set of challenges and changes. I am certainly learning as I go. There is no room for doubt or even much thought about my decisions. I make 10,000 decisions in every day and the only measure of success I have is the outcome. I fail a lot, but I adjust and we are getting there.

Our kids are pretty spectacular. I know I am biased...and I would be a shitty parent if I were not biased. But, they are pretty cool, I think. Connor is feeling out his boundries these days - he is very whiny, clingy and does what he knows he should not on a regular basis. We are working on it, but he is very different than his sister and I have not yet found the buttons that push him through those moments. Where Bailey is a white hot flash in the pan, Connor is a slow, rolling boil. A fit can last for a very long time, never escalating past constant whining. But, boy, that whiny is relentless. I don't tolerate whiny. Or at least, that is how it works with Bailey. She whines, I ignore, it ends. But that doesn't work with Connor. Ignoring distresses him, sending him into full blown sobs and classic cryfests on the floor that go on and on and on. I think this is manipulation - he's figured out what works. But, boy, it's hard. And time consuming. He would like constant attention.

With that said, he is also making huge strides forward. He is eating solid food - no baby food. He is sleeping through the night and napping well. And he is sweet and mischevious. He really is a great kid and his sweetness is unmatched.

It's still a transition. Less so for the kids. Bailey never mentions school anymore and has come to expect our daily routine. But I am still getting comfortable in my new role. It's working.

No comments:

Post a Comment