Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Weakness

I can deal with most of the crap of parenting. I have philosophies and tools to deal with temper tantrums, aggression, yelling, etc. It isn't always easy to deal with, but at least there is a corrective course of action. What I can't deal with is not sleeping.

With Bailey, I tolerated it until she was 7 months old and then I pushed cry it out hard and she was sleeping through the night within a week. Very shortly after that, life was so improved we got pregnant again. What Connor taught me is that sleep isn't subject to a "method". He did not respond at all to cry it out, no matter how hard I pushed it. Connor required something that was extremely hard for me to give - time and patience. He started sleeping through the night about 3 weeks ago, right around his first birthday. It really wasn't a gradual process...just one day he stopped waking up and started sleeping a solid 12 hours before waking.

I was elated!!! The improvement in my life is without compare.

So you can imagine my horror when he stopped for 3 nights and started waking up 3, 4 and 5 times a night.

Let me just tell you - I don't need much sleep. 5 hours is enough, provided those 5 hours are uninterrupted. But if I am woken up during those 5 hours, it's as if I got no sleep at all. So, for days it was as if I hadn't slept. I took him to the doctor's yesterday just to check. Make sure nothing was wrong. They told me he is fine.

We put him to bed last night around 7:30. So far, he's not woken up.

And I got my solid 5 hours. Thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment